Go See the Exhibit!

It’s finally open! Can you believe it? Please, go and see this crazy exhibit I’ve been blogging about for months! I’m telling you, even if you don’t understand all of it, or don’t feel like reading all the didactics, the art speaks for itself a lot of the time. So if you’re in the general area of Williamsburg please do stop in. To make it easier, here are the Muscarelle’s hours: Tuesday-Friday: 10am-5pm; Saturday & Sunday: 12pm-4pm (closed Mondays). If you’re a W&M student, faculty, or staff, or under 12 years old, admission is free! Otherwise it’s $5.

Anyway, for those of you who care, the opening last night was fantastic. Dr. Mark White from the Fred Jones Jr. Museum at the University of Oklahoma (he gave us a tour when we were there this summer, remember?) was the speaker; he did an incredible job getting everybody in the right frame of mind to see the artwork. At about 6:15 everyone went downstairs to the gallery for the reception. I couldn’t believe how many people were there – I guess I’ve gotten used to having the gallery nice and empty. I stood with Megan (Dr. M-L’s grad student, who did a LOT of important work the summer when Zac, Jade, and I were off having other adventures) in the main room and answered people’s questions. I also got to talk to some of the docents, several of my anthropology professors, and some of Dr. M-L’s guests. Soon enough it was 8:30 and the caterers were packing everything up; but I could have stayed there all night.

Really, though, the night was far from over at that point. As the last of the crowd was preparing to leave, myself among them, Dr. M-L invited Megan and me to dinner, along with her husband, her daughter, Dr. White, John Spike (the museum’s distinguished scholar in residence), and Aaron De Groft (the director of the museum) and his wife. We went to the Blue Talon; I was seated across from Megan and next to Dr. De Groft. Not only did I get to eat some very good food – I also got to talk to the director of the Muscarelle! And I heard some very good stories from all ends of the table. It was a unexpected but completely wonderful end to an amazing night.

This afternoon I gave a “tour” (mostly it was just me rambling on about the Kiowa Five a lot) to some of my friends, who, very kindly, showed an actual interest in the work I’ve been doing for the past 8 months. They were very appreciative…at least to my face. Hopefully they really did enjoy it.

And now, without further ado, here are some photos from yesterday and today.

PHOTO GALLERY, PART VIII:

The main gallery during the reception last night – look how many people came!!!

One of the walls, complete with a quote by James Auchiah in vinyl letters. It reads: “Our forefathers’ deeds touch us, shape us, like strokes of a painting. In endless procession their deeds mark us. The Elders speak knowingly of forever.”

Me and Dr. Moretti-Langholtz, in front of the portfolio.

Me, Dr. M-L, and Dr. White, in front of the 2 Oscar Jacobson pieces.

My friends in front of the portfolio this afternoon!

About Rachel Isadore Steinberg

I'm Rachel. I'm a writer, a reader, a tea drinker, a tree climber, a dog lover, a journaler, a wonderer, a wanderer, an advocate, a believer, and a baker.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.