And…we’re back!

So it’s been quite a while since I utilized this blog, but someone recommended that I continue to post updates as all this crazy work nears fruition. After all, for those of you whom I haven’t already bugged about this, our lovely exhibit – In Memory Still: A Legacy in Kiowa Art – opens in less than 2 weeks! Certain special people, like myself, will be there are the evening opening on Friday, September 9th; the rest of you should all definitely come and check it out between September 10th and November 13th. It’s going to be awesome. Promise.

Anywho, at the moment I’m a refugee, evacuated from Williamsburg and currently chilling out in Charlottesville while W&M tries to get its act together. Apparently a lot of trees fell and the power is out, so I understand why they don’t want students coming back until Tuesday. But what they don’t seem to understand is that this is very inconvenient for the planning of a museum exhibit. I was supposed to meet Professor M-L at the Muscarelle tomorrow afternoon to check out the didactics and labels and, of course, all the beautiful artwork. But it’s looking like we may have to wait until – sigh – Wednesday.

In the meantime, Jade, Zac and I are coming up with some text for a didactic on what it’s like to be students doing real fieldwork. At the moment all I’ve done is compile some of the best photos from the trip…but I’ll get around to the writing part soon enough. It’s not like there’s much else to do right now.

What else can I tell you? Our original wall-painting plans got nixed (we wanted 3 shades of blue), but the colors Professor M-L chose sound like they might be even better. I won’t tell you what we ended up with, though – you’ll just have to come see for yourself!

As for the artwork, it turns out we have even more pieces than anticipated, which I’m pretty sure can’t ever be a bad thing. And it sounds like everything with the labels and didactics is under control. So there’s actually a lot less to stress about than I expected.

I don’t have any pictures to post at the moment because I haven’t been to the Muscarelle since getting back to campus. But I promise to post some photos of the preparations (if I’m allowed) once I get over there. Then again, who knows when us poor refugees will be allowed to return?

About Rachel Isadore Steinberg

I'm Rachel. I'm a writer, a reader, a tea drinker, a tree climber, a dog lover, a journaler, a wonderer, a wanderer, an advocate, a believer, and a baker.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.